6.27.2011

Guatemala in Words: Part II

Day 2 at the Home:

This morning we woke up at five o'clock because breakfast was a six fifteen and we had to be at the church for VBS by eight-thirty. Breakfast was terrific - fresh fruit and scrambled eggs. Eating everything here - including the freshly squeezed orange juice and lemonade - makes me not want to eat processed food ever again. But as I texted my mom earlier, scratch that comment - I'm eating oreos in the dorm room. 

VBS went extremely well - Savannah, Caressa, and I are in the eight year old class and we could actually understand most of the lesson, which was on Daniel. The Guatemalans are sweet. I've started to enjoy hearing Spanish so much. It's so pretty. 
the woman in the yellow jacket is my grandmother...
Today, we spent the afternoon putting together Bible packets for the children on the last day of VBS. I've taken tons of pictures - exactly 900 as of now - and each one tells a soulful story. What I love is the clothing - it consists of thick woven skirts, wide black cloth belts, and floral shirts that would possibly be considered clashy with the plaid of the skirt. But it is much too bonita to ever be considered unfashionable.  
Today, at lunch, one of the four-year-olds declared me her Americano amiga. She is in need of a sponsor, and I know that God is calling me to do it. I'm going to ask about it tomorrow. She told me that she loves me. 
mi amiga... my lil' girl.
The city where the church is located is amazing. The main modes of transportation are multi-colored buses and three-wheeled taxis that stop for no one. You could stand in the middle of the street and they would run you completely over. 

The small and older children walk home from escuela by themselves, and it amazes me how young some of them are. I have gotten some amazing cultural shots. 
The woman walk with baskets on their heads, like something out of National Geographic that I would have once dreamed of seeing. The stray dogs number more and more by the day, and bulls are often transported in truck beds. 


Everyone dries their clothes on rooftop clotheslines, and it makes for some colorful shots. Most of the natives are friendly enough and will smile when you take pictures of them. 
The marketplaces are full of freshly picked fruit.  



I hope you are enjoying the tales of my journey so far.
Until tomorrow, lovelies!
{xo}

8 comments:

  1. Wow it sounds like you had an amazing time on your trip! I LOVE all the pictures! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - very cool pictures! you did a wonderful job really showing the culture and making me feel like i was there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... looks like you had an *amazing* experiance! Who did you go with? Like, did you go with a missions group or something? I've been looking for a mission trip to go on next year, but I'm not sure who to look into.

    ~Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn - it was a mission team sent out by my grandmother's church.
    --Mary Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. these shots are absolutely wonderful! I love how you've captured the different aspects of the culture so well. stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a neat picture! I love them all! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great shots, what an amazing experience...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Because comments are awesome.