7.19.2011

Adventures in Portraiture

I've never really done too much editing with my pictures; a little color boost is mostly the extent of it. Besides, all I have is the tools available through iPhoto, which are pretty good, but not amazing. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to mess with Gimp or purchase Photoshop.
But the other day I decided to mess around with some better editing and compare the before and after results. These are all pictures that I took of my little sister at the pond a few days ago - before she got hot and wanted to go home, that is.

This first one is my favorite, because it looks the most natural. 

sooc
I liked the original, but it had a little less color that I wanted, so I just boosted the color. Yeah - complicated editing is not going to be a career path for me.

first edit
I then wanted to see how it looked in black-and-white, but it looked a bit too white for me. 

third edit
So (and this is as complicated as it got) I upped the contrast to add more depth and loved the final result.

fourth edit
What do you think?
Okay, on to the second shot: I like this one overall, but I'm still working on finding the right light to highlight the eyes, without making the subject of the picture squint... yeah. Working on it.
I liked the picture, but I still did a little editing.

sooc
I stayed simple at first - I boosted the color (that is admittedly my go-to edit). But then I also upped the contrast and definition a little, and sharpened a tiny bit. Here's the result; I really liked it. 

edit

I didn't do too much with this one; I just lowered the saturation and sharpened a tad, and then upped the contrast a little. Oh - and I boosted the color. Ahem.

sooc

edit

I really liked the light in her eyes in this next one. But I really wanted to enhance it. 
Newsflash: I didn't boost the color on this one. I just upped the saturation, cropped, and added a tad bit of exposure.

sooc

edit
I love this one: 

sooc

All I did was up the contrast, exposure, definition, and sharpness.

edit
I didn't like this last one because her face was in a shadow, but I still tried to salvage it.

sooc
I cropped, and added exposure, definition, saturation, and contrast.


Any tips? I'm working more on portrait photography, and editing feedback would be extremely helpful. Any tips on portraits in general?
{xo}

9 comments:

  1. I love it! She's such a cutie pie :))
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I am no editing genius (though I love editing portraits - it's so much fun!) so the only thing I can tell you is get photoshop. You can do so much with it and it really finishes a picture. If you can't afford full photoshop, then get photoshop elements (like me) which is about $600 cheaper and has almost everything full photoshop has. Trust me, it. Will. Be. Worth. It. Hope this helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I love posts with before and after pictures. :) Your sister is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really nice - in most cases, your edits are really subtle and I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not edit for anything. You are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great edits and such beautiful photos! She is such a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! And your sister is seriously adorable. Way too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome, these are wonderful. :)
    Laura
    www.luluanddumps.blogspot.com
    www.happyrainbows98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Because comments are awesome.